Saturday, May 17, 2008

Savor true essence of India

Yet another journey, yet another expedition and yet again... a chance to explore India at its best. I started off from Delhi - the main gateway into India. Vast Indian diversity melts perfectly at the country's capital. The past amalgamates flawlessly with the present. From the airport, I boarded a taxi so as to reach the hotel. It was an hour drive away from the International Airport. I could see the streets pulsate with exciting activities as I passed by.

Soon, I landed up at the hotel and entered my room. The interior of the room was tastefully decorated and beautifully restored. After freshening up and having breakfast, I set off to begin exploring various corners of Delhi. Accompanied by Dhananjay, my guide for Delhi tour, I was first of all taken to Jama Masjid and Chandni Chowk. It is believed that if you begin the journey from a holy shrine, it will end up in good. Very true...

Jama Masjid is a monument of great elegance. The collection of several unique things makes the mosque even more interesting. I was truly enchanted to see a copy of the Holy Quran produced on the skin of a deer.

On stepping out from the mosque, I gobbled a plate of hot Jalebis from the famous 'Jalebi Wala'. It was delicious! Every fresh turn and every new curve in Chandni Chowk presented an entirely different Mughal aura before my eyes. If Dhananjay would not have pre-defined the route, I would have surely lost my way.

In the afternoon, I visited yet another architectural marvel - Qutub Minar. A leisure pad for the locals, the monument is impressive so much so that made it difficult for me to take my eyes off this magnificent monument. Other attractions in the complex were equally magnetic. I thanked Dhananjay for his contribution to this memorable Deli tour. Later, I stepped in at Chor Bizzare for tantalizing my taste buds. Apart from the food, the art deco of the restaurant too was beyond compare. I am not likely to forget this gastronomical journey ever in life.

Next morning I departed for Agra – the city of love. I enjoyed the soft music played in the taxi during the 5 hours drive. I stopped at Mathura as I could not resist myself from visiting the most beautiful Iskcon Temple en route. Now I continued the drive to Agra. Just a mere thought of the world famous monument Taj Mahal fascinated me alike other Indian and foreign tourists from all pockets of the globe.

Upon arrival, I went straight way to my hotel room. I decided to visit Taj Mahal the next morning. What better than shopping in Agra streets could I indulge myself in? Traditional handicrafts including rugs and gem stones were my first picks. A couple of bags and belts were also added to my shopping bag.

Applauded as the apex of Mughal architecture, Taj Mahal seemed to me nothing less than magic created by the hands of humans. You will have to believe that morning hours are the best time to see one of the seven wonders of the world. You will be bowled over to witness the changing colours of the Taj at different hours of the day. The icon depicts the proud passions of Shah Jahan's love for his wife Mumtaz Mahal. The tour guide helped me explore exquisite interiors of the monument in white marble. As I moved on, I turned back for one last glimpse of the majestic Taj Mahal.

Next I visited Agra Fort, a gigantic structure in red sandstone. Standing along its fence made me feel like touching the sky. Ah! The feeling was great. Incomparable... I must say. The aesthetic sensibilities of Shah Jahan, Akbar and Jehangir are perfectly interwoven in the architecture of the fort. Interesting, isn't it? The erstwhile aura that floats through the halls and structures inside the fort gripped me equally. As soon as dawn broke, I left for my hotel. The next morning bidding goodbye to Agra, I headed forward towards the flamboyant capital of RajasthanJaipur.



No comments: